With nature we can do anything including developing knowledge and doing the learning process is no less effective with the learning process conducted in the classroom. The learning process in out-of-class activities is basically to provide the widest opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the mastery of:
1. The concept of sound and knowledge relating to human and natural resources
2. Life skills that produce health, prosperity, creative and refreshing way of living
3. A positive attitude that reflects the harmony of man and nature
So that out-of-class activities provide elements that are important to a healthy, productive and lasting society.
Understanding Classroom Activities
Out-of-school education is an out-of-school activity that includes activities outside of the classroom / school and in the outdoors, such as: playing in school environments, parks, farming / fishing, camping, and adventure activities, as well as developing relevant knowledge aspects. In other terms, Outdoor Activities Classroom is an education conducted outside the classroom or outside the school building, or is in the wild, such as: playing in the neighborhood around the school, in the park, in the fishing village / coastal areas, farmers / Camping, adventure, so that knowledge and values related to outdoor activities are obtained.
From the above two conclusions can be concluded that the activities outside the classroom is a learning process conducted outside the classroom or the outdoors, by utilizing existing equipment so as to bring the creativity and gain knowledge and recreation.
Main Concepts in Out-of-Class Education
Through educational point of view, education activities conducted outside the school environment or outside the formal schooling environment, at least contains 3 main concepts, namely the concept of learning process, outdoor activities and environment.
- Concept of Learning Process
Learning through out-of-class activities is an interdisciplinary learning process through a series of design to doing outside the classroom. This approach consciously exploits the potential of the natural setting to contribute to physical and mental development. By raising awareness of the interrelationships with nature, the program can change attitudes and behavior toward nature.
- The Concept of Classroom Activities
This approach uses outdoor living and camping activities, which provides many opportunities for students to acquire and master basic skills, attitudes and appreciation of the various things in nature and social life. Forms of outdoor activities can be: camping, mountain climbing, exploring, fishing, cooking, studying nature, living in the countryside, primitive living, crafts and so on.
- Environmental Concept
The concept of environment refers to ecological exploration as the mainstay of living beings that depend on each other. The main purpose of this program is to explain our function in the universe. And show how to maintain the quality of the natural environment for present and future interests.
Purpose of Classroom Activities
The educational goals that are generally wanted to be achieved through out-of-school activities or outside the school environment are:
- Make every individual have a unique opportunity to develop creativity and personal initiative.
- Provide a meaningful setting for attitude formation.
- Develop awareness, appreciation and understanding of the natural environment and how humans have a relationship with it.
- Helping to realize the potential of each individual for the soul, body and spirit can develop optimally.
- Provide ‘context’ in the process of introduction of social life by providing opportunities for children to feel directly.
- Enable students to develop skills and interest in outdoor activities.
- Growing understanding to wisely use and protect the natural environment.